Thursday, May 2, 2013

Overdue Adoption Update

I'm about a month overdue on my monthly adoption update. Here's the short story:

Even though Agency #1 had stolen my heart a long time ago, I called Agency #2 just to do my due diligence. It didn't go nearly as well. Even though DH is below their age limit, I was informed that he is probably too old and that a bmom would be unlikely to place with us. They also have a three year marriage requirement, but since their website said that they could make exceptions to this rule, I decided to call anyway. The director said she would have to check with her boss, then never called me back.

Even though I never had my heart set on Agency #2, this was quite upsetting. All I could hear was, "You guys aren't good enough to adopt."

Still, Agency #1 was looking better and better. A couple of weeks ago, DH and I sent in the initial inquiry form. If we pass that screening, they'll send us the long, scary application. If we are accepted, we get invited to an orientation and THEN we get put on the "Available Families" list to wait for a bmom to choose us.

So, after two short months, my adoption updates are now at an end. We will be filling out the paperwork as it comes to us.

I've been having quite a bit of anxiety over this. Whereas before, I was stressed and sad about my body stubbornly refusing to get pregnant, now I'm stressed that these people in [City] will decide that we are unfit parents and reject us.

They say that adoption is no quick fix for infertility. They say that adoption is its own rollercoaster.

Dammit, they were right.

4 comments:

  1. I have heard that about adoption as well...that it's sort of like it's own set of "morning sickness", waiting, fear, insecurity, pains, but just like pregnancy, it is exciting that you are venturing onto this journey!! I'm sorry about the second Agency...that sounds quite limiting of them. Just helps your process of deciding, I guess. Prayers for the paperwork process....I can only imagine how involved that will be! Thanks for the update. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so frustrating that everything has to be so difficult sometimes. Or all the time. Good luck as you take it one step and each form at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending many prayers your way - St. Joseph, pray for Sarah and her DH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They say that adoption is no quick fix for infertility – that’s actually right. It’s easy to see the error in that train of thought. For one, adoption is a very difficult process physically, emotionally, and financially. And in most cases, it requires a deeper sense of emotional commitment. It’s also true that it’s a rollercoaster, and not everyone is fit for that ride. So before deciding to adopt, it's best to find out if one is really up to the challenge. Thanks for sharing!

    Dean Glover @ Adoption Network

    ReplyDelete