Saturday, April 27, 2013

The Land of the F*cked

A recent series of posts at Airing the Chapel stirred up quite a bit of controversy. Airing observed a pattern in the replies: fertile women who never question Catholic leaders versus infertile women who do. I'm not at all interested in rehashing any of the debates over on ATC's blog (though I would be happy to discuss Augustine anytime), but I was struck by this division. On infertility blogs, I'll often hear people described as fertile and infertile. For example, "My fertile best friend came over yesterday," or "There's another infertile who works with me who...."

Infertile women seem to live in a different reality from everyone else. Our bodies don't work the way they should. Sex does not lead to pregnancy. For some of us, the normal process of menstruation is excruciating. For others, our cycles are completely unpredictable; our bodies are beyond our control. (The other day, I walked past the condoms at CVS and marveled that there is all this stuff designed to prevent pregnancy. I can't imagine ever again being in a position where I would fear getting pregnant. I barely remember what that was like, to feel like sex was this awesome thing that could actually bring a new person into the world.) 

So I can see why some of us feel like humanity is divided into fertiles and infertiles. But upon reflection, I think there is a division, but it's not between fertiles and infertiles. There are the folks who marry the love of their lives in their 20s, avoid pregnancy when they need to, get pregnant when they want to, and have healthy children. They live, or seem to live, in a land of sunshine and rainbows.

And then there are the rest of us, the inhabitants of what Anne Lamott calls "the land of the fucked." Those of us who wander for years longing for romantic connection, wondering why there seems to be a partner for every other woman, but not for us. Those of us who are stricken with cancer. Those of us who find ourselves married to abusive, alcoholic partners and who must choose between our most sacred vows and our safety. Those of us who get married, get pregnant, and find ourselves parenting children with developmental disabilities, or far worse. And of course, those of us who planned to have children, only to find it's not as easy as we were always led to believe. 

We, the inhabitants of the land of the fucked, ask the hard questions. We live at the margins of normalcy, in the grey areas. We make tragic choices. We hunger for compassion, only to find that the sunshine and rainbows crowd recoils from us. 

We frighten them because we know the truth: the separation between the two lands is a mere line in the sand, not a fortified wall. Anyone at any time could end up in the land of the fucked. Healthy living, prayer, good choices: these things offer no protection. Rather than face this reality, it's much easier to turn away, to take turns as Job's comforters, or to offer empty advice, "Just relax and it will happen."

No, it won't. But it would be better for you, emissary from the Land of Sunshine and Rainbows, to believe that it will. 

5 comments:

  1. I have definitely noticed a difference between the two worlds. I am now at a place where, when one of the sunshine and rainbows crowd faces a situation and expresses their confidence and faith that "it will all work out", I smile and nod and give them a little pat on the head (figuratively, of course). Then I pray that if they suddenly instead find themselves on the other side of the line, where none of the old reassurances make sense and they have to ask the tough questions, that they find the depth and richness at the other side of the darkness and bitterness that will certainly change them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. We know better, but what else can we say and do?

      Delete
  2. One thing that came to mind as I read this post is that I seem to know very few people "in real life," as they say, who are from the country of rainbows and sunshine. In other words, even friends and family who don't share my particular struggles have ones of their own that I'm glad I don't have and I wish they didn't have. This is different from online interactions - I think it's common knowledge now that people often present their best self, or only share happy parts of their lives, online. (At least in the non-IF blog world)

    And I do agree that women with infertility seem to live in a different world than those with normal fertility. I find myself taken aback often when I hear a pregnancy announcement - "that actually happens?" I think. It seems like a universe operating under completely different laws, to think of loving my husband and getting pregnant...

    And lastly (you've given me a lot to ponder!) - our faith hinges on a God who went to the extremes of desolation (Hell) and back. God knows, Job knows, the saints know, the land other than rainbow-and-sunshine country. It bugs me to hear (for example) Christian radio stations describe themselves exclusively as "positive and uplifting" as if Christianity wasn't about the cross. I don't know where I'm going with this exactly, just to say that one thing I'm trying to learn through the trial of infertility is how to unite my sufferings with Christ - He's seen it all, suffered it all, already. There's something better in this life than false assurances and "it's okay" and smiley faces. Resurrection requires death, but it's worth it (so I pray for the faith to believe).

    Rambling over...thanks for lots to chew on.
    (www.eccefiat11.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what's given me more to think about, the original post or your comment EF. Thanks to both of you for your writing!

      Delete
    2. After I wrote this, I was thinking of revising it to mention that everyone eventually gets their turn in the land of the f*cked. As Augustine says, even if you have everything you could possibly want, you still grow old and die.

      Then I was thinking of revising it to say that some people are forever changed by their residency in the land of the f*cked, while others experience a certain type of amnesia. I was thinking about a certain IF blogger who complains that as soon as IFers get pregnant, they seem to forget their pain.

      So yeah, you're right that many people are really struggling with one thing or another. And you're right that on Facebook, everyone is living large.

      And yet, I do see a lot of people who seem to live in a world where everything is black and white and simple, and sometimes I wonder if this inability to see the shades of grey comes from the fact that everything has largely gone fine for them.

      "Positive and uplifting Christianity!" Blech! I could write a whole post about infertility and the prosperity Gospel. Maybe I will.

      Thanks for helping me this through these issues further, EF!

      Delete