Friday, April 27, 2012

But I did everything right!

In When Bad Things Happen to Good People (a book you'll be hearing about a lot on this blog), Rabbi Harold Kushner tells the story of a couple who lost a child in a tragic accident.  When he goes to visit them, the couple looks at him and says, "Rabbi, we didn't fast on Yom Kippur this year." It takes Kushner a second to realize what they are saying: they think that God took their child as a punishment for not fasting on the day of atonement.

The idea that God punishes wrongdoing by killing children, giving people cancer, and causing various fatal accidents is called the theory of just retribution. With the exception of a few fundamentalist Christians (Michele Bachman, I'm looking at you), most people reject this idea.  We know that God didn't give our aunt breast cancer as punishment for her sins. We know that the tornado that struck the high school prom wasn't punishment for the kids sleeping together on prom night.

I reject the just retribution explanation for my fertility struggles. It's not because I slept with my husband before we were married.  Or because I used contraception. If you think it is, look at all those teenagers who get knocked-up without any problem at all!

But despite the fact I reject the theory of just retribution, I do have my own version of it.  It goes like this:  But I've lived a very healthy life!  I don't drink or eat to excess.  I barely eat sugar.  I have never smoked. I don't eat processed food. I eat ridiculous amounts of vegetables. I exercise regularly, but moderately. I don't even drink coffee, for God's sake!

I did everything right.  This shouldn't be happening to me.

The theory of just retribution is so hard-wired into all of us that we can't quite reject it.  Instead, we have merely substituted health for morality. Healthy food (whether it's vegan or Paleo or gluten-free) is the new kosher. Unhealthy people are punished with infertility.

This attitude is common among the fertile as well.  In this egregious example, a blogger thinks that she got pregnant so quickly because she worked so hard, "reading books, changing eating habits, exercising, not smoking, not drinking, doing tests, taking care of health problems, doing dental work, taking prenatals etc," in short, "doing more" than other people who are trying to conceive.

Um, no. She got pregnant quickly because she was lucky. Some people are just more fertile than others. While some things do adversely impact fertility (smoking, sugar, caffeine, alcohol, etc.) many people who live healthy lives are infertile, while many sugar-gobbling, coffee-guzzling lushes get pregnant with no trouble at all.

Why do we hang on to the theory of just retribution, despite all the evidence that this is not how the world works?

My theory is that it's comforting to this that if we work hard and do everything right, we will be protected from infertility. Conversely, it's frightening to think that infertility (or for that matter cancer)  could strike any of us, for no reason, despite all our efforts and healthy habits.

I've been on enough fertility forums to know that some people get pregnant after making a bunch of lifestyle modifications: diet, exercise, Chinese medicine, herbs, vitamins and supplements. Still others go the Western medicine route to get pregnant. But some people, despite all of their efforts, despite tens of thousands of dollars in fertility treatments, never do get pregnant.

The frightening truth is that we have limited control on whether we ever get pregnant.

The frightening truth is that a lot of really big things in our lives are ultimately beyond our control.

The frightening truth is that this is the human condition.



4 comments:

  1. I agree. I see it too often. "What did I do wrong?" Heck, I asked myself the same thing over and over when I got my own diagnosis. Then I had to give in to God and realize He does not work that way. That this is more to refine me and my faith and my future, and not at all about punishing me for my past, whatever that may be.

    Indeed, I even did the health thing, too. Granted, I still did some health things wrong (like my devouring of coffee back then), but I ate incredibly healthy and had for years. Why would I deserve this struggle?

    And, you're right, you can do EVERYTHING PERFECT. COMPLETELY PERFECT. And STILL end up without baby. And that is hard to accept. Particularly in the face of condescending attitudes of "did you take x vitamins? did you do the acupuncture? did you ..." What.ever.

    Hugs and love and prayers to you, friend,
    Ashley Sue
    http://fertilitypickle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. "did you take x vitamins? did you do the acupuncture?" Hee. My least favorite is, "But you're still so young!" as if only 43 year olds have fertility problems.

    I also think it's hard for other people to accept how random infertility is. It makes for a scarier world for them, so they seek to offer false consolation (I just know you'll get pregnant! My daughter did IVF and had a baby! etc.)

    I wish I weren't in the position of having to bring them back to reality, because it makes my heart ache to have to say, "Actually, no. It make not work out for the best. And that will have to be okay."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog and am starting at the beginning. The posts I've read so far have resonated with me and this one the most so far. I am very bad about wondering if I did certain things, if I would get pregnant easier. I have cut my caffeine intake to a can a day (sometimes a little more on the weekend). I have tried doing all water but I get headaches, especially in the summer and if one can of Coke will alleviate the headaches, I don't think its going to kill me anymore than anything else in this world.

    My husband and I have been trying for a little over 4 years now and while I think I've become a better person (I was very bitter the first 2 years, I'm much calmer about a lot of stuff now), it does still scare me that we have no control over what is and isn't to be. I've been trying to put my faith back in God and in knowing the He knows the best path for us. It's been a struggle because the first 2 years of TTC, I pushed Him out. I was so mad this was happening to me and that praying (and lots of other people praying for me) wasn't working, I gave up on our Almighty.

    I know now that even though God may be letting you go through a struggle, having Him on your side is better than pushing Him out of your life.

    Sorry for the long post. I just feel that you understand, so I felt I should share my feelings. Thank you for blogging. I have a feeling this blog is going to help me through the next few steps we have planned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading, Zookers. I think we all have been on the outs with God's over IF. It just seems so unfair. Though I am mostly over it, I still do get angry sometimes. For me, hearing about DH's step-father's family is a major trigger. Many of them are selfish parents who have children without being able to provide for them emotionally or financially, and even though I know that God doesn't give babies to the good parents, it still makes me mad that they can conceive without a problem. (It also helps if you are having unprotected sex at 18.....but I digress.)

      I think being angry with God is a form of prayer too, so I know that God brought you back.

      Delete